Sunday, October 14, 2007

A fly on the wall

"A fly on the wall." someone said to me today. "I would just like to be a fly on the wall of your home for one day." If I had a dollar for every time someone has said that to me, I'd be a rich woman.
Let's see. What would you have seen today? Sundays are a fun day for us. We got up and cooked 3 pounds of bacon, 4 dozen muffins, and 2 dozen eggs (scrambled of course). Oh yes, and a pot of coffee!! We set the table with 11 plates, 11 cups, 11 forks (Max doesn't eat real food yet) We polished off almost all of that food and a gallon of milk to boot! No. We don't do this every day; only on Sundays. We have lots to talk about around the table because the fair has just ended and we are celebrating our success at the Junior Livestock Auction yesterday. (We raise sheep for 4H).
Do I need to continue? It sounds so ordinary to me. We get dressed, do chores, do a little clean-up, watch some football, go to a church meeting, take the ewes to the breeder, then go to evening church. Except for the "ewes to the breeder part" doesn't that sound like a normal Sunday for most people? I know . . . we stopped being normal with the birth of our fifth child. I think ten makes us certifiable! I won't bore you with the rest of the details of this day. Just know that somehow I made it to the computer before midnight. The kids are all in bed and Dan is sleeping on the couch waiting for me to finish so we can go to bed. So let me get to the point.

Here's what I know. I know for sure that we are blessed beyond measure! And that these blessings come with a tremendous amount of responsibility. It is my job to teach them to use a sippy cup and a spoon, to say please and thank you and not to burp out loud. It's rude! I need to show them how to dress themselves and brush their teeth, to tie their shoes and put away their toys. Its my responsibility to teach them to be kind and share, to use nice words and not pull hair. "Mama watch this" will be repeated one thousand and one times and I will be as excited about the first cannon ball as I will be with the last. I will bandage their "ouchies" when they are young. Then, when they are older, I will be a comfort when their "ouchies" can't be touched by human hands. I will pray for them everyday. Most importantly I will show them Christ.
This all may sound overwhelming. My goal in making this blog is to be an encourager to those of you who feel overwhelmed and to give you some practical ways to make everyday a little better. There is no greater calling than to be a mommy and I feel blessed to be a part of so many "mommy's" lives.
Be blessed today. Look into their little faces and know that God chose them for you. Tickle them, laugh with them, love them!

Trina

5 comments:

monica castillo said...

Trinia,
This is so cool! Thank you so much for sharing. I can't believe with your busy schedule you still have time to help other moms. You are awesome!
monica

ajfreshwater said...

Trina,
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your very busy schedule to bless the lives of mommies everywhere. I know that my family and I have been so blessed to have you and yours in our lives. No words can ever express our thanks!
Amelia

nates5bs said...

Yeah! My friend Trina is blogging with me! Woo hoo! What a great start. We've been friends for so long that you seem normal to me. The only thing that seems un-normal, as a fly on your wall, is the amount of food you have to cook for one meal! Back in the day before you ever had kids...who would've ever thought the blessing your would receive from your kids and the blessing you would be to others. My life has fingerprints of you all over it. Who knows where I would be today without you.
-B

Winter said...

Thanks for blogging, I love it!

Anonymous said...

Well said.