Sunday, December 30, 2007

I will faithfully pray for him

Our daughters had an interesting conversation recently that was relayed to me by a faithful friend. Three of our daughters (Madison 13, Moriah 12, and Hannah almost 11) were at their friends house for a little Christmas gathering. They had been watching "The Nativity" and were having a conversation about how young Mary was when she gave birth to Jesus and married Joseph. The topic then changed to arranged marriages and would it be Ok if their dad picked the man they were to marry. My girls and the daughter of my friend all agreed they would be happy with that because they knew their dads loved them and only wanted the best for them. Of course we have no plans to arrange their marriages, but it was nice to know they trusted their dads to make that decision for them. They soon began to talk about their own weddings and of course they all shared what their weddings will be like. At some point, Madison said to everyone that she knew exactly who she was going to marry. Of course everyone in the room (and out of the room, thanks Tamera) waited with baited breath for her to reveal this juicy piece of information. Without hesitation she said "I'm going to marry someone exactly like my dad". This faithful friend told me that the girls had no idea she was listening and that Madison's comment was completely unsolicited.

As my friend told me this story, tears fell. I was unprepared for the flood of emotions. I was instantly struck with an urgency to be on my knees in prayer for my husband. I pray for him regularly for the usual things like work, financial stress, health; stuff like that. But this is a whole different thing. I know that it is normal for little girls to love their daddys and even talk about marrying them, but when a thirteen year old girl still looks at her daddy and knows that someday, the man she marrys will be just like him, the magnitude of the role he plays in her life goes off the chart.

In the midst of the mass of Christmas greetings on this desk are three precious pictures. They stand out to me right now because all three families have only daughters. Precious little girls who are looking to their daddys to be an example. Pray for those daddys and the priviledge they have to be the object of such affection.


I am blessed to have a husband who understands the weight of his responsibility. He knows he holds his daughters' affection until they meet the one God has chosen to be their husband. I am sure he wouldn't have it any other way. So I will faithfully pray for him.




Be Blessed,

Trina



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sweet. What an heavy and important weight they carry as daddys to little girls. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

By the way....every post I have read has made me cry. Thanks for the encouragement and often renewed perspective.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Generally I do not post on blogs, but I would love to mention that this post extremely forced me to try and do therefore! really nice post. thanks, here's a similar subject you'll like [url=http://corina33.busythumbs.com/entry_id/1296820/action/viewentry/]Collectables[/url]