Friday, July 25, 2008

Knee Deep 2

I love my Life!!! Just since I sat down to write I have been asked to admire a beautiful coloring creation by Abigail (3), swaddle a baby doll, and tie some shoes. Then Bailey came in with the masterpiece she had been working on all morning. She set it down on the chair next to me. It was carefully wrapped in one of my kitchen towels. As she slowly unwrapped it I could see the pride and excitement in her eyes. She was consumed by the anticipation of my response. "What a beautiful mud pie!!" I said. She had filled a frisbee with mud of just the right consistancy then arranged leaves on the top and used a lego to make designs on the part of the mud that was not covered with leaves. I got up from the computer right away and took her outside to take her picture. I wanted my response to match her enthusiasm. I asked her to tell me how she made it and where she got the mud and why she chose that dirt and how much water she used. I wanted her to know that the mud pie she had been working on all morning was just as important as the work I was doing on the computer. Right now she is playing happily outside again and I am doing what I need to on the computer.

That situation could have played out in a very different manner. She was the fourth or fifth interruption I had experienced in the five minutes I had been sitting at the computer. She used one of my kitchen towels and it was covered with mud, not to mention she had an entire frisbee full of mud inside my house!! Those are the thoughts I had in the back of my mind as we had this exchange. I guess that goes to show that I am human after all. I just knew that she needed for her work to be appreciated and that was more important than anything I could have been reading or writing.

That has nothing to do with what I sat down to write today, but it's a great start. This is the continuation of my post "Knee Deep". Thanks to the faithfulness of God and the prayers of many, we have been allowed to dwell beneath the shadow of His wings. What an amazing feeling!

Shortly after Dan found out that his company was going out of business and he had lost his job, someone called from church. They told us that the church had a job available. It was part time now with the possibility of full time in the future and he could start right now. Dan went in to talk to the people at church to find out exactly what the job was (Facilities Manager) and what it entailed. He came home that night with lots to talk about. We spent a long time talking and praying about what God had in store for us. Dan was struggling with this decision. His desire was simply to be in the will of God. But part time will not pay the bills. Full time will be closer but will still leave a bit of a deficit. On the other hand, any money coming in is better than no money. So many things to consider.

From the beginning, we have been able to see the fingerprints of God on this situation, so Dan decided he was going to go through the doors that were opened to him. Dan accepted the job at the church. Shortly after he had started, Dan called me from work. He said that he was handed an envelope today. It contained cash and a letter that basically said that while there was a need, we could expect this gift every month. . . There was a long pause. . . Pretty soon Dan said, "Hello? . . .Hello?" I couldn't even speak. I was so overwhelmed with emotion. God is faithful! I already knew that. He has proven it over and over. So why was I surprised? Why does it ever surprise us when God does what he says he will do? I'm not sure what the answer is to that question. I know that there are probably some real deep thinkers that might have an idea. But, for me, I know that I am going to wrap my simple mind around the fact that God is faithful. I will build a monument here that will remind me of what He did for us.

I don't envy Dan's position in our family. He is responsible for so much; financially, spiritually, emotionally. I am thankful that Dan's desire to be a Godly man is what drives him. I know that not all women can say that of their husbands and I consider myself blessed. We are on an adventure but we can't see where we are going. What I need to concentrate on is the scenery. As a close friend of mine says, we are just in the back seat coloring, waiting for the next destination. I will try to resist the temptation to tell God which direction I think He should go. His way is best. Besides, a big arm would reach over the seat and point to the yellow crayon and say "Your picture needs a little more color". So I'm coloring and looking out the window at all of the beautiful scenery. I see beautifully colored pictures, baby dolls sweetly swaddled and even mud pies with leaves and lego imprints. . . THAT is God's will for me.








Trina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In that picture of Bailey she looks so much like Madison. Wow. You are blessed! Look forward to seeing you ALL at your parents birthday party in two months. Love you all.
Jeni Maxson

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)